How Does Habitat Homeownership Work?
Habitat offers homeownership to hardworking families who may otherwise be unable to purchase a home of their own. Habitat homeowners purchase their home directly from Habitat through a zero-interest, 20-30 year loan.
Habitat homeowners build equity through owning their own home. All Habitat homeowners are required to invest 200 hours per applicant of sweat equity during the construction of their home and the homes of other Habitat families. In this way, neighbors meet neighbors long before they move in and develop firm and cooperative friendships. These trusted relationships are beneficial as families come together to make decisions that strengthen their communities through their homeowner associations. Homeowners' monthly mortgage payments are used to build more Habitat homes!
How Can I Qualify?
Applicants must have one of the following housing needs:
- Substandard - structurally unsound or dilapidated housing; broken plumbing; faulty wiring; poor heating; leaking roof; etc. OR unsafe neighborhood.
- Cost-Burdened - rent & utility payments are 50% or more of your total income.
- Overcrowded - adult and child share a bedroom; more than two children share a bedroom; two children of opposite sexes share a bedroom.
Applicants must be able to meet the following requirements:
- Live or work in Person County for at least one year
- Demonstrate stable income for the past two years
- Be able to save approximately $1500 to cover closing costs
- Earn 60% or less than the area median income.
- Unable to qualify for other mortgage programs. Check left sidebar for other Mortgage & Down Payment Programs.
- Have no excessive credit issues that can't be cleared with-in reasonable time.
- Be willing to perform 200 hours of sweat equity per applicant, partnering with Habitat to help build your home and other Habitat homes.
How Do I Apply?
Print and fill out the Home Ownership Application, then mail or email as an attachment. This is a quick one page questionnaire designed to determine if you meet the basic criteria. If you do, then we will invite you to the next home owner class and have you fill out a more extensive application and provide documents to prove that you are qualified for the program.
Home Ownership Application